Cold Case Investigations  

Go Back   Cold Case Investigations > NEWS AND NEW EVENTS > THIS JUST IN !!!! SIZZLING HOT NEWS !!!

THIS JUST IN !!!! SIZZLING HOT NEWS !!! A reporter is always concerned with tomorrow. There's nothing tangible of yesterday. All I can say I've done is agitate the air ten or fifteen minutes and then boom - it's gone. Edward R. Murrow

Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Miss Killjoy

bbomb OCCI's TexasKowgirl I.D's Jane Doe

Page 2 of 2<12

View First Unread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
From This Page...Select AllDeselect AllInvert SelectionSelect Unapproved PostsSelect Deleted PostsSelect Posts with AttachmentsSelect Posts from Guests

Today, 01:41 PM

Texaskowgirl

ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Nikki Trollinger, 1985 California Missing and Pos Matches

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texaskowgirl

I just submitted Nikki as a pos match to Riverside.... Look at the timeline on these two and how close! PMI is 2-4 weeks, Nikki was missing 3 weeks prior! I still think she looks like that other submission, but boy oh boy, does this sound close or what! I can't tell if Nikki's hair is down to her shoulders or not (kinda looks like behind, but maybe it's short)...

Only 40 miles apart and the Counties actually adjoin each other.... Riverside just listed some people today.... I'd hope that she'd been compared already, but stranger things have happened

She disappeared 3 weeks prior

to the date the unidentified was found, from Garden Grove, CA, and

their vitals are very similar:

Riverside Unidentified:

http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1288.html (9/28/1985, 16-18,

5'8"-5'11", 135-55, Brown Hair)

Nikki Trollinger:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/349dfca.html (9/7/1985, 16, 5'8", 150,

Blonde/Brown Hair)

I GOT A MATCH!!!! ONE FOR TEAM OCCI!

Nikki Ann Trollinger

Nikki Trollinger disappeared from Garden Grove, California on September 7, 1985. She was located deceased on September 28, 1985 in Riverside, California. She was identified in March 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was murdered in 1974. I'm an African-American, teen girl, that was found in Maury County, TN. I was wearing some very distinct printed pants, please see if you recognize them...

Today, 01:55 PM

Texaskowgirl

ADMINISTRATOR

Re: OCCI IDENTIFIES: Nikki Trollinger, 1985 CA Missing & 1985 Riverside, CA Jane Doe

I have to tell y'all..... this was I think the first possible match I posted on this site.... It was wrong, I submitted someone else for her that was wrong and 3rd time was a charm! This case nagged at me... One of those "don't know why, but it did".... I thought, looking a the timeline and close proximity of the Jane Doe, surely, she was already ruled out.... But, nope. Wow!

We can do this and make a difference, if we try!

I was murdered in 1974. I'm an African-American, teen girl, that was found in Maury County, TN. I was wearing some very distinct printed pants, please see if you recognize them...

Today, 02:10 PM

OM1995

Re: OCCI IDENTIFIES: Nikki Trollinger, 1985 CA Missing & 1985 Riverside, CA Jane Doe

Congratulations.

OM

OM1995View Public ProfileSend a private message to OM1995Send email to OM1995Find all posts by OM1995Add OM1995 to Your Contacts

Today, 03:40 PM

Starless

Miss Killjoy

Praise the Lord !!! AMEN !!!!!!!

TKG, I'm so proud of you !!!

Today, 03:53 PM

Starless

Miss Killjoy

See folks, this is what really matters. Bringing them home, finding them.

Today, 04:12 PM

Texaskowgirl

ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starless

See folks, this is what really matters. Bringing them home, finding them.

Ohio is my home state. My prayers go out to her family.

Actually, they're both from California.... You're looking at an earlier match, that I made from Ohio (she wasn't a match, but looks just like her)...

My News Articles, that includes pictures of my Pants:

http://www.officialcoldcaseinves tiga...ead.php?t=7670

Last edited by Starless; 03-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Miss Killjoy

Default Re: OCCI's TexasKowgirl I.D's Jane Doe

Nikki

Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Texaskowgirl

This is a copied thread, but here's the original email submission.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

fromTexasKowgirl <texaskowgirl@gmail.com >
toVScarpin@riversidesheri ff.org

dateWed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM
subject1985 Unidentified Homicide Female, Riverside, CA - Possible Match
mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 11/26/08 Reply

Has your newly listed on Doenetwork Unidentified Female, been compared
to Missing Person, Nikki Trollinger? She disappeared 3 weeks prior
to the date the unidentified was found, from Garden Grove, CA, and
their vitals are very similar:

Riverside Unidentified:
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1288.html (9/28/1985, 16-18,
5'8"-5'11", 135-55, Brown Hair)

Nikki Trollinger:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/349dfca.html (9/7/1985, 16, 5'8", 150,
Blonde/Brown Hair)

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx, TX
www.officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com

Last edited by Texaskowgirl; 03-04-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Re-posted with email header info....
Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Miss Killjoy

Nikki Ann Trollinger

Above: Trollinger, approximate date 1985

Missing Person Information
Missing Since: September 7, 1985 from Garden Grove, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: May 13, 1969
Height and Weight: 5'8, 150 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Trollinger may use the last names Stewart and/or Cederstaff. She may use the first name Jasmine.

Case History / Additional
Trollinger was last seen at a family function on September 7, 1985 in Garden Grove, California. She was occasionally living in group homes or on the streets at the time. Trollinger was also involved in prostitution. She has never been heard from again. Trollinger disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Few details are available in her case.

Who to contact

Garden Grove Police Department
714-741-5815

Source Links

The Charley Project
Garden Grove Police Department
California Attorney General's Office
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
perl

YES!!

I thought that one just *had* to be a match, but then again, how many times does that happen and it turns out to be a no-go?

EXCELLENT WORK, TKG - you rule!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Intrigued

Well done TKG! It amazes me when these things happen and why the heck didn't the authorities link them? Never 'assume' huh. Well done again.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Absolutely awsome TKG! Your hard work paid off!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Texaskowgirl

Thanks, for the kind words. The effort is for the missing and unidentified though and not about me. It was really exciting to make a match and see our efforts pay off, but this was ultimately for Nikki and her family. This was the 4th possible match I had submitted on her. So, we just can't ever give up!

I know there are some other sites that also made this match and I want to congratulate them too! The more of us making the same match, the more likely it will be looked in to and solved. It's awesome to know that others are working hard to give these Does back their names too. That's what it's all about!

Go Team OCCI!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

WOW! Congratulations on your awesome detective work! You may get a reward, but I know that making the match is a reward in itself!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Texaskowgirl

Hmm... Well, she was posted and I submitted the match, the first day the UID went up, but it might of been DNA match, from this article... Great that she got her name back and they are looking in to her cold case, regardless.

----------

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...497-grove-body

Friday, March 20, 2009
Mom gets dreaded news about missing daughter
After more than two decades of hope, a woman learns that DNA confirms her teenager died in 1985.
By LARRY WELBORN
The Orange County Register
Comments 31| Recommend 5

GARDEN GROVE For more than 20 years Margaret Stewart knew there was a possibility that her missing daughter might be dead.

But she never gave up hope that Nikki Ann Trollinger, a troubled runaway who dropped out of sight in 1985 when she was 16, would walk through the front door of her Garden Grove home.

Stewart, now 60, said she stayed in the same house for 23 years until recently so that Nikki could find her if she chose to do so.

She gave media interviews asking for help in finding her daughter. She took out ads.

Her two brothers both in law enforcement used their skills to look for Nikki in vain for more than two decades.

But there were no reports, no sightings, no evidence that Nikki existed past September 1985.

And then last year, at the suggestion of detectives from the Garden Grove Police Department, Stewart volunteered a cheek DNA swab for use in a national database.

Last month, Stewart got a phone call from the Riverside County Coroner's Office.

It was bad news.

The decomposing body of Nikki Ann Trollinger was found in an orange grove on Sept. 28, 1985 three weeks after she was last seen alive.

She had been a "Jane Doe," which is police slang for an unidentified body, for nearly 25 years until her DNA was matched with Stewart's genetic characteristics in the national database.

While Stewart was looking for her daughter, Riverside detectives were looking to identify their Jane Doe.

Stewart said she cried when she heard the news. "I am still crying," Stewart said this week in a phone interview from her home in Oregon.

"There is some small relief now that I know where she is at and that she is not suffering," Stewart said "But it is sad because now I have to grieve for her again."

Nikki Ann Trollinger was a runaway at age 12, and later became a ward of the court system. She was 16 and hanging with an unsavory crowd just before she disappeared, Stewart said, but she also managed to occasionally send messages to her worried mom that she OK.

Stewart drove buses for Orange County Transportation Authority in the 1980s, and she would often hear from other drivers that Nikki had been on another bus and wanted the driver to tell her mom, "I love you."

But Nikki "dropped off the face of the earth," just after Labor Day weekend in 1985, Stewart said.

"I kept doing things to find her, but there was never a word, no activity on her social security, nothing," Stewart said.

While she never gave up hope, Stewart said that after so many years had gone by, she had to face the possibility that her daughter was dead.

She did everything she could think of to find her daughter, but a few years ago, she and her husband Gary moved to rural Oregon to go on with the rest of their lives.

"I just kind of had to give it (the search) over to God," she said.

Meanwhile, Riverside detectives were trying to identify the body in the orange grove.

The body had been dragged to its location and had been there for some time before it was discovered, according to reports. It was so badly decomposed that the coroner could not determine a case of death.

Riverside Det. Mike Medici said this week that the case was originally listed as an unsolved homicide in 1985, but detectives at the time were thwarted in the investigation because they did not know identity of victim.

With the identity established now, the investigation into Trollinger's death has been re-opened.

"It gives me a place to start," Medici said.

No one knows for certain why authorities could not match up a missing persons report in Garden Grove in 1985 with the unidentified body in Riverside.

There may have been a misunderstanding in 1985 when Stewart tried to file a missing persons report, in part because her daughter had been a runaway and a ward of the court. The requirements for filing a missing person claim were different in 1985 than they are now.

An investigation was initiated in 1992 after Stewart asked if there was any news of her daughter, but by then the trail was cold.

And there was no such thing as DNA comparisons back then, Jordan added.

In the interview this week, Stewart said she hopes that laws are passed that require agencies to take and preserve DNA samples of all children who are made wards of the court, to make identifications easier in the future.

For now, Stewart said she has another task to do first.

The grieving mother said she intends to place a proper headstone on the grave, with her daughter's name engraved: Nikki Ann Trollinger.

Contact the writer: lwelborn@ocregister.com, or 714-834-3784