Cold Case Investigations  

Go Back   Cold Case Investigations > The Zodiac Killer > The Zodiac Killer

The Zodiac Killer ..This Is The Zodiac Speaking, Like I Have Always Said, I Am Crack Proof....

Old 08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Miss Killjoy

zody ZODIAC CIPHERS DECODED ???? !!!!!!!

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...TYLE/808080323

....For nearly 40 years, the Zodiac Killer and his cryptic messages have mystified authorities, but a Great Falls man believes he has some clues that could identify the 1960s serial killer who has never been caught.

"It's the puzzles that got me," said Tim Spencer, owner of the Brighten Up Shop on Central Avenue.
Spencer, an avid bridge player since he was a boy, said the cryptogram messages and letters the Zodiac Killer sent to three newspapers in San Francisco sparked his interest. He first saw the puzzles in the 2007 movie, "Zodiac."
The Zodiac Killer operated in northern California in the late 1960s. He has five known murder victims but in letters to newspapers claimed responsibility for as many as 37. His identity remains unknown.
Spencer spent hours poring over "solved" cryptographs the killer sent to police. One stated that the Zodiac liked to kill because he's collecting slaves for the afterlife. A line in one of the letters reads: "In this cipher is my identity."
After reading the ciphered messages, Spencer didn't stop his puzzle-solving.
"If the ciphers are solved, then where is his identity?" Spencer asked.
Spencer is bothered by the fact that the Zodiac Killer misspelled several words. "Paradise" was "paradice," "forest" was "forrest," and there were 18 extra characters at the end of one cipher that didn't mean anything at all, according to investigators.
Spencer asked his wife, Joy, what these misspellings might mean because someone who can make cryptograms normally wouldn't have a spelling problem.
"To make the puzzle work," she told him.
With that, Spencer went to work using a different method he put the ciphers together. Each was 17 columns wide and eight rows from top to bottom. He then took each column and remixed the letters to spell out words.
"Some of them are just scary as to what they say," Spencer said.
One awkward sentence reads, "I beat SFPDs laws by show self." That possibly could mean the killer was seen by the San Francisco Police Department but was never caught, Spencer said, which actually happened.
Spencer figures the symbols going horizontally, the ones that already have been solved, state that the killer likes to kill and he will do it again. However, the words hidden vertically could reveal his identity, Spencer said.
"I live in your city by the ship dks," one says, most likely referring to ship docks.
"A sly lone letter, I sent score," another column states. The Zodiac Killer signed one letter Zodiac 5, SFPD 0.
"This guy was really competitive and liked to play games," Spencer said. "These are the type of clues that should be followed.
"I swear this is not an accident."
He has gone to several police departments but his findings haven't been taken into serious consideration, he said. The San Francisco Police Department said it doesn't have time for old crimes and clues, Spencer stated.
Most people believe the killer was a poor speller, according to the Web site, zodiackiller.com, where Spencer posts his results and receives comments from users. Many also believe solving the crime really doesn't matter because the killer is probably between 60 and 80 years old by now.
Joy Spencer isn't as dedicated as her husband in deciphering the letters but is glad that he has "something to entertain him."
She said the findings are relevant because the victims' families would like to know who the killer is and see him punished.
"The real harm is in not trying," she said.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 PM
perl

Default Re: ZODIAC CIPHERS DECODED ???? !!!!!!!

Wow - thanks for posting this. I wonder why it hasn't received more attention?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Missouri Mule

I believe most are of the view the misspellings were deliberate. I concur. I also believe Zodiac is long dead as well. Interesting, however. I guess we will continue to pour over anything new that comes out. I wonder whatever came of that former lawyer who pasted that ad in the local newspaper. That seems to have withered on the vine.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Miss Killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mule View Post
I believe most are of the view the misspellings were deliberate. I concur. I also believe Zodiac is long dead as well. Interesting, however. I guess we will continue to pour over anything new that comes out. I wonder whatever came of that former lawyer who pasted that ad in the local newspaper. That seems to have withered on the vine.

I wondered about that too. I think it is an injustice if Tarbox does not reveal who the person is. That is just terrible.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Missouri Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
I wondered about that too. I think it is an injustice if Tarbox does not reveal who the person is. That is just terrible.
I don't know his name but it's probably not important. He claims that someone walked into his office asking and paying for legal advice. This unnamed person claimed he was Zodiac. Tarbox says that this person was not ALA. We have no idea if this person was who he said he was or was just talking through his hat hoping for some publicity at some point. Who knows what these creeps want anyway? He may have expected to have been outed and just wanted to play games just like ALA was fond of doing.

I'll go back to the only known absolute, undeniable proof we have. It is at the lake murder. The individual was seen, his weight was identified and had the infamous boots that ALA had. ALA was in the area; as he was in all the areas where these murders took place. And we know one other thing. Once and for the first time he was questioned at his place of work, there was never a proven murder linked to Zodiac. And the first thing he does upon getting out of the slammer for pedophilia is to tweak Toschi's nose with the only letter that Toschi ever received from anyone regarding the case that was conceivably linked to the case. And NO Zodiac letters were sent when ALA was in the slammer.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck; it's a duck. ALA was Zodiac.

And BTW, there is and never has been any DNA or fingerprints from any of the crime scenes that could be lined to ANYONE. There are not proven DNA or fingerprints on file for Zodiac. When I see or hear that DNA or fingerprints don't belong to ALA and therefore he can't be Zodiac, I want to go ballistic. Without a proven chain of custody any such evidence is 100% worthless.

And Tarbox evidently has too much time on his hands.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mule View Post
And BTW, there is and never has been any DNA or fingerprints from any of the crime scenes that could be lined to ANYONE.
Hello,

First post:

You're right, nobody has been matched to the prints or the partial DNA sample retrieved from the stamps. That includes Mr. Allen. I believe he has been exonerated.

CipherGuy
Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 AM
texasx

Unless he is shown to have been elsewhere by demonstrable evidence, how can he or anyone ever be excluded?

Who knows the trail of the "evidence" exhibiting those things stated, now if the stamps for example had traces of DNA matching someone, that would be different, but the absence of DNA on the stamps proves nothing except they did not find DNA matching someone , someone they wanted to match.

The absence of something in this cases is just that, merely an absence. Generally a killer or criminal leaves some sort of clue at a scene, but the stamps are not a scene. They are things that could have been anywhere. They have no chain of custody. The stamps themselves cannot be shown to be particular stamps from any particular place.

What does the "stuff" on stamps do to the extraction of DNA from them? Was each and every molecule of the "stuff" actually examined? No one has said that. If each molecule was not examined how could it be known that the wanted sample did not exist there?

You are not into absolutes, never are in crime examination. Even the finding of DNA is not absolute to the particular person, this the statements of the probabilities accompanying the analytical results. Maybe the numbers are a number that have not yet come to be, but they are stated for a reason, as disclaimer that it is not impossible that someone else is out there with the same DNA. Same with fingerprints, it has always been said that there could be someone out with the same prints, they just have not been found yet.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Missouri Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CipherGuy View Post
Hello,

First post:

You're right, nobody has been matched to the prints or the partial DNA sample retrieved from the stamps. That includes Mr. Allen. I believe he has been exonerated.

CipherGuy
Allen was in no way exonerated. There are no DNA or fingerprints of Zodiac on file.

This is one of the biggest fables surrounding this case. The argument is that since the DNA or fingerprints were not his exonerates him. This is patently ridiculous. No one knows how such evidence was placed there. Unless there is a clear chain of custody, such evidence is totally worthless.

I worked with DNA for 15 years and unless the sample could positively be tied to a specific person it had no value and was ignored or retested. So I know what I am talking about.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Sorry, I'm getting off topic here...

The fellow that says he has solved the ciphers is using the *cipher* text as a word find puzzle. Which is okay, if you want to do that, but a true cipher is first encrypted and then decrypted using the cipher key.

Having said that, I don't believe this fellow has or will decipher the cipher(s).

CipherGuy
Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 AM

I don't want to come off as a know it all , but LE did get enough of a partial print from the cab in S.F. They do have enough DNA to compare to a person when he is found from the stamps and a envelope. Allen's DNA did not match nor did his prints or handwriting. He was way too big to be the man who shot Paul Stine and Darlene. Allen was so big and strong that a confrontation with B.Hartnell wouldn't have make him nervous. The killer was so worried Hartnell might try something, he had the girl tie him up for him as he held the gun on them. Allen could have back handed Harnell and knocked him out, that's how strong he was. The Zodiac is a small weak coward, but not a cry baby like Allen. Two entirely different people.